Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"lower-middle-class-hillbilly-hipster"

Tonight when I got home, Late Night with Conan O'Brien was on television and the red headed comic was interviewing Chris Colfer who plays Kurt Hummel on Glee. Since I'm a huge fan of Glee, and also very curious about the nature of Chris's sexuality, I left it on to watch the hijinks...and boy am I thrilled that I did! How I've lived this long without knowing who Rickie Lee Jones is, is ridiculous! She performed Wild Girl from her album Balm in Gilead on tonight's show, and she was ah-may-zeeng!

I couldn't find the Conan performance without linking you to the entire show, so here's a link to a live performance on Soundcheck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnVV9qE96fY

from BALM IN GILEAD
Wild Girl
written by Rickie Lee Jones

Wild girl, you must have been a terror
When you were young
Your mamma must have let you run,
Let you run free...But it wasn’t very nice
Eating all that sugar and spice –
What they want a girl to be
And all the things a child learns
On their way from hope to here,
The innocence, the fury, the racism
Rage and fearI don’t remember –
tell me again –
The part no one wants to hear...

Well, that’s so many peoples story,
A lot of heartache but not much glory,
But glory, the truth be told
Tomorrow you are twenty–one years old

I say Happy Birthday tomorrow to you,
Go out and get some glory,
The only game in town.
You can live your life with regret
About the things you think you did wrong,
(A lot of people do)
Or over what some one would not give,
Or you can be grateful
When you open your eyes,
The story you write, you live

Well it’s hard to be older and poor
I don’t dig it that much anymore,
But every day of my life I’m so proud I became his wife
Because I got to raise Charlotte
And Charlotte’s learning
The only game in townWild girl in a red dress
Come on, speak up, say yes
This thing that makes you beautiful
Never comes out of a jarYou are a beautiful girl
Because you reach out from your beautiful world,
That is the daughter you are

Walk right and the real world knows it
Cuz you bring it back down into the real world
Walk right up the real world knows it
You’ll bring it back down into the real world
Say take me back babyI just wanna make a dream come true –
I came here to love somebody –
I just want to make my dreams come true...

And I’m trying
Because trying is
The only game,
Live to tell the tale –
The only game in town

A little history on "the new generation of hipster"...
Rolling Stone cover featuring Rickie Lee Jones crouching in a black bra and white beret - an issue that would become the largest selling issue in the magazine's history up to that time. Her appearance - as an unknown (her debut self titled record had been released less than a month before) - on the popular and prestigious Saturday Night Live television show in April 1979 sparked an overnight sensation. Following the cover of Rolling Stone and a successful world tour, Jones secured five nominations at the 1980 Grammy Awards and won the Grammy for Best New Artist. She was also voted Best Jazz Singer by Playboy magazine's critic and reader polls. Jones was covered by Time magazine on her very first professional show, in Boston, and they dubbed her "The Duchess of Coolsville."

After moving to New York City, Jones spent the majority of 1981 working on a follow-up album, written and recorded partly in reaction to the break-up of her relationship with Tom Waits sometime between late 1979 and early 1980. The songs were written between September 1979 and June 1981 - the recording sessions finally yielded Pirates in July 1981.



No comments:

Post a Comment