Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Top Ten September Obsessions

I've realized that I always focus on the more negative and morbid things that life has to offer, so I've decided to consciously attempt to find the brighter side of life...frivolous, random and most of all fun! So, here's my September Top Ten List of distractions from reality:

10. Arrested Development
I was one of the fools who never bothered watching this golden nugget of a show while it was on television, thus leading to it's inevitable cancellation...but tonight my friend put it on hulu, and before I knew it, it was almost 3:00 am, and we were 5 episodes in...I could spend the rest of my life watching the Bluths and die a happy woman!

Narrator: Then mistaking a group of garishly dressed men for pirates, Tobias boarded a van full of homosexuals.




9.Seagram's Seltzer mixed with Minute Maid Pomegranate Berry Energy Drink
I wanted to slow down on the soda and excess sugar, so I started drinking seltzer with a splash of cranberry & a lime wedge at work...when I wanted to do the same in my regular life, I discovered this little treat instead. Not only is it delicious, but it quenches my thirst, while it keeps me from falling asleep...I also realized it has less sugar than cranberry juice, and I'm saving about $3.00 a day on Starbucks...can't beat it!

8.Harefield Road, 769 Metropolitan Avenue, Williamsburg, Brooklyn

The place is amazing...an older mixed crowd, great atmosphere, and an outdoor patio where smoking and drinking is not verboten...what more do I need to say.

7.Cheap Concerts
Thanks to a very generous friend of mine, I was able to go and see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Teenage Bottlerocket & The Flatliners at Irving Plaza a few weeks ago, and what an amazing show it was...I got punched in the face, and I loved it! Here's some footage I found on youtube...it's not the best, but it's actually very accurate as far as energy and what I was able to see of the stage.



I got inspired to research other cheap upcoming shows, and came up with a pretty interesting list:
Vampire Weekend 9/15, 9/16 or 9/17 @ Radio City
Bruce in the USA 9/25 @ Williamsburg Music Hall
James 9/28 @ Webster Hall
Gaslight Anthem 9/30 @ Radio City
Muse 10/23 or 10/24 @ Nassau
...OK Go 10/29 @ Terminal 5
Matt & Kim 10/26 @ Webster Hall
Florence and the Machine 11/02 @ Terminal 5
Indigo Girls 11/05 @ Wellmont Theater
Wizard Rock Festival 11/21 @ Williamsburg Music Hall

6.Mad Men
This show is amazing!!!! Sundays are my favorite days! I don't understand the slip in ratings...this season is by far the best, and each episode is better than the last. In fact, Episode 407, "The Suitcase" should definitely earn both Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss Emmys, they were unbelievable the entire episode, but this scene below was absolutely mind blowing!



5.Funny Movies
When I'm feeling terrible, which, let's face it, is quite often, nothing makes me feel better faster, than being in a dark movie theater with good friends, watching a hilariously funny movie...this past week was a rough one, and we actually saw 2! I highly recommend both Going the Distance and the Other Guys if you need to change your attitude...and screw what the critics say...they're both hysterical!




4.Fairground Attraction
In case you didn't happen to hear of them on 120 minutes or on your random late 80's European vacation, they're a Scottish acoustic pop band led by vocalist Eddi Reader, that had a platinum selling album on the UK Charts with The First of a Million Kisses...some of their more popular songs include "Perfect" and "Find My Love"...they make me happy, enough said!



3.Tarot Cards
I've been having a fun time every other night, around 1:30 am, reading and rereading my own cards...the trick is to keep shuffling until you get a spread that tells you something you want to hear...even if it's something you didn't previously consider it just needs to make you happy...if there's a Tower or a Ten of Swords in sight...start over!



2.Catskill Mountain Moccasins
I have been dreaming about these damn boots for over a year...since the last time we went to the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, NY...and I still can't afford them...AAARRRGGHH!!! They're handmade and custom molded to your foot, and are guaranteed for life...they're also gorgeous and you get to design your own- you pick the color, style, height, leather, buttons, trim, you name it! They start at around $450 & they just go up from there...the ones I want are around $1,500...maybe someday I'll win the lottery...



http://www.catskillmoccasins.com/

1.Scratch Offs
Speaking of the lottery, nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than a winning scratch off...I especially love Cashword, Bingo and any variation thereof...but to be honest, even the losers make me feel better...for those brief moments when you're selecting the ticket, when you're picking out the right coin to scratch it off with, when you're imagining how you'll tell your parents that they can quit their jobs...for those momnets, you're filled with hope...hope of a better life and hope that you can change things in a drastic way...so even if you lose, you've sparked something inside that stays lit a little longer than you expected, and that feels amazing...

No comments:

Post a Comment